Terrestrial Conservation Advisor, Papua New Guinea, Wildlife Conservation Society
Position: Terrestrial Conservation Advisor, Papua New Guinea
Reports to: WCS Papua New Guinea Country Program Director
Location: Goroka, Eastern Highlands Province, Papua New Guinea
Start date: February 2018
Contract: Full-time position
This position is responsible for the technical oversight of and support for the WCS PNG Terrestrial Program in areas of: project management and implementation; project development and reporting; local staff capacity building; and data analysis and publication. Current program implementation priorities include: designing sustainable forest management and livelihood schemes; analytical assessment of sustainable wildlife use; integrating community-based conservation with national policies for REDD+, protected area development and climate change adaptation. The position is also responsible for species specific conservation programs which include: Admiralty cuscus, Green turtle, Goodfellow’s tree kangaroo, and Vulturine Parrot and have an emphasis on bio-cultural use. The position reports to the PNG Country Program Director and works closely with the PNG senior management team, PNG applied science team, WCS Melanesia Regional Director and other WCS Asia staff. The position oversees all technical assistance to terrestrial conservation activities and maintains appropriate communication with WCS project leads, key donors, funding agencies, local government institutions and NGO partners.
This position is based in Goroka in PNG and requires significant travel within PNG and may require some travel internationally.
• Contributing to the development of an updated strategy for WCS' terrestrial conservation work in PNG.
• Technical oversight of WCS PNG’s terrestrial conservation programmatic activities including species specific projects.
• Improving WCS PNG terrestrial conservation activities through the analysis of program and project outcomes.
• Managing a portfolio of terrestrial conservation projects including work plans, budgets, staff, and deliverables.
• Coordinating programmatic activities in line with administrative and financial aspects of WCS PNG Program.
• Writing technical reports to donors, government agencies, and other WCS offices.
• Authoring scientific papers, books, and popular articles, and supporting other WCS PNG staff to do so.
• Proactively supporting the development of high quality communication pieces for increasing the profile of WCS PNG
terrestrial program and its technical activities.
• Influencing policy development by sharing program results and lessons learned with government partners and other
• Contributing to the identification of fundraising opportunities, draft proposals, and develop and maintain good working
relationships and/or partnerships with donors, government, NGOs, private sector and other key stakeholders.
• Leading WCS PNG’s terrestrial conservation scientific research and publications.
• Designing protocols for field data collection, data management, and analysis.
• Capacity building of WCS PNG terrestrial conservation technical staff and local partners.
• Contribute to performance reviews of WCS PNG terrestrial conservation team and the recruitment of new staff and
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing an application letter and CV together with salary requirements and the names and contact information of three references to: email@example.com by October 20, 2017 deadline.
Please include “PNG TCA” in the subject line of your email. Candidates must also apply online via the WCS career portal.