Senior Associate Government Relations Lobbying
27 Sep 2019
- Job Title: Senior Associate Government Relations Lobbying
- Company Name: The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Location: London, UK
The Pew Charitable Trusts uses data to make a difference. For more than 70 years, we have focused on serving the public, invigorating civic life, conducting nonpartisan research, advancing effective public policies and practices, and achieving tangible results. Through rigorous inquiry and knowledge sharing, we inform and engage public-spirited citizens and organizations, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause. We are a dedicated team of researchers, communicators, advocates, subject matter experts, and professionals working on today's big challenges – and we know we are more effective and creative collectively than we are individually. With Philadelphia as our home town and the majority of our staff located in Washington, DC, our U.S. and international staff find working at Pew personally and professionally rewarding.
Wise stewardship of resources allows Pew employees to pursue work that strategically furthers our philanthropic mission in significant and measurable ways. We collaborate with a diverse range of philanthropic partners, public and private organizations, and concerned citizens who share our interest in fact-based solutions and goal-driven investments to improve society. Pew attracts top talent, people of integrity who are service-oriented and willing to take on challenging assignments. We provide competitive pay and benefits, a healthy work-life balance, and a respectful and inclusive workplace. Pew employees are proud of their colleagues, proud of where they work, and proud of the institution's reputation.
Government Relations (GR) was established in 2006 to complement and advance Pew's work in the public policy arena. In 2010, the department was reorganized and staff that had been spread throughout the institution were consolidated into a single unit. Government Relations is comprised of a Senior Vice President and five units overseeing advocacy of Pew's programmatic agenda as well as operations and institutional advocacy. The priorities of the department are to: (1) provide relevant, timely and insightful advice on government and intergovernmental policies, regulatory actions, and legislation of direct relevance to the Trusts, its programs and advocacy goals; (2) develop close effective relationships with key policymakers, partners in non-government organizations, and the government affairs staffs of major trade organizations relevant to our work; (3) develop Pew's annual advocacy strategy as well as manage and facilitate its implementation; (4) work hand in hand with program staff and policy experts to guide advocacy from inception to successful completion; (5) coordinate, collaborate and communicate with and between Government Relations and program staff to advance institutional priorities, (6) monitor, track, review and approve all interactions between Pew staff and government officials including participation in coalition efforts and work with our external stakeholders; and (7) ensure full compliance by Pew with all applicable regulations related to lobbying and advocacy.
In 2011, Pew opened an office in London, United Kingdom, to advance the UK government's support for Pew's marine conservation work. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the international Government Relations team and will have responsibilities in all areas of UK and EU government related coordination, including communicating with government officials, coordinating Pew campaign efforts in the UK and the EU, execution of strategies to support Pew environment campaigns and other Pew projects as needed. This position will report to the Officer, Government Relations, and is based in London.
• Work with Pew Environment campaign managers and staff to support and coordinate strategies to achieve government-related campaign goals for Pew initiatives.
• In coordination with program staff advise on advocacy and research efforts needed to gain the support of the UK and other European governments for marine reserves, international fisheries campaign strategies, coastal conservation, marine biodiversity, and other Pew initiatives as needed.
• In coordination with Government Relations staff in Brussels, influence EU member states and European institutions positions in international and regional policy fora.
• In coordination with programs, maintain ongoing communications and collaboration with other members of the environmental community, consumer organizations, or other partner groups on government-related requests.
• Track and analyze government initiatives and proposals relevant to campaigns.
• With Government Relations staff, ensure lobbying compliance for ongoing advocacy efforts.
• College degree required.
• At least four years of relevant experience required.
• Experience in working with UK government or Parliament critical. Experience with European institutions and languages helpful. Familiarity with conservation issues preferred.
• Ability to identify issues and develop government relations strategies for major lines of programmatic work.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, including an ease in communicating complex concepts in a clear effective fashion for a general audience.
• A strong commitment to producing measurable results. Ability to work autonomously and independently, yet in a cooperative spirit.
It is expected that this position will require some travel.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Apply here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/crqxsgxmqmhkmccn