Research Assistant (Conservation Evidence Administrator) - Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge
Position: Research Assistant (Conservation Evidence Administrator)
Contract: Part time
The Department of Zoology is looking for a research assistant to work with Prof. William Sutherland on the Conservation Evidence project in the Conservation Science Group. The successful candidate will be responsible for the administrative tasks required for the running of the Conservation Evidence project (www.conservationevidence.com). The job will also involve maintaining and updating a database of literature of evidence on the effectiveness of conservation interventions and providing relevant studies to authors developing synopses, and coordinating volunteers contributing to this database. You must be organized with excellent writing skills and a strong interest in biodiversity.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Conservation Evidence team in Cambridge. The project is funded by MAVA Foundation.
- Relevant BSc, MSc or equivalent, to a good level in an appropriate subject (e.g. biological science/zoology)
- Experience of administration work
- Fluent at writing in English
- Ability to write clear, concise summaries of scientific information for a wide audience
- Experience of organising meetings/workshops
- Good general understanding of experimental design
- Experience of database management
- Good team worker
- Good understanding of biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Interest in conservation, and enthusiasm for aims of Conservation Evidence
- Experience of recruiting and managing volunteers
- Demonstrable success at communicating science in a range of formats, such as websites, newsletters, presentations and newspaper articles
- Ability to translate Spanish, French or other language texts into English summaries
Fixed-term: The grant funding this position is run on an annual basis until 30th June 2021. This part-time post is therefore initially available from 15 November 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter, until 30th June 2019, with a likely annual extension for an additional two years subject to availability of funds.
Interview date: Wednesday 14th November 2018
To apply online for this vacancy, please click the link below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Please quote reference PF16850 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Informal enquiries can be addressed to: Dr Rebecca Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org