Programme and Impact Manager, Maio Biodiversity Foundation, Cape Verde
Fundação Maio Biodiversidade/ Maio Biodiversity Foundation (FMB) is the largest wildlife organisation on the island of Maio. It has grown rapidly, and currently has 14 permanent staff working across three programmes: turtle, marine & terrestrial conservation and sustainable development. FMB has an annual turnover of 218.000 euros, underpinned by major grants from the MAVA Foundation, USFWS and Fauna & Flora International, and by close working relationships with the Cape Verdeangovernment, MAVA Foundation and Fauna & Flora International.
In this period of growth, FMB are looking to develop internal processes and ensure projects are designed and managed effectively. To this purpose, and as part of a structured organizational development process, FMB are keen to recruit an experienced person as Projects and Impact Manager. This is a new post reporting to the FMB Director and designed to improve working practice across FMB.
Funding for this post is secure for one year. Substantial part-funding is available for an additional two years should the post and further fundraising prove successful.
Interview: 28th-31th January 2019
Expected start date: 1st of March 2019
Location: Maio Island, Cape Verde
Job Type: Full time
Job Length: One year, with strong potential for extension
Reporting to: FMB Director
Tasks and responsibilities
With a view to FMB’s long-term growth and financial sustainability, and with the aim to strengthen and diversify FMB’s relationships with strategic partners and funders, the high-level objectives for the Programme and Impact Manager are:
- To ensure appropriate administrative and financial (non-technical) supervision of projects
- To maintain and develop FMB’s relationship with local/national and international funders
To achieve this, the successful applicant will ensure all FMB projects are well-managed and effective in meeting their stated aims, through:
- Development and implementation of new protocols and procedures
- Mentoring of project managers
- Development and monitoring of a financial sustainability and fundraising plans for FMB
- Project development and fundraising where appropriate
- Supervision (and direct control where appropriate) of the financial management of existing and new projects
- Management of monitoring and evaluation efforts across the organisation
To this end the post-holder will work closely with the FMB Director, Project Managers and Board, and with key international partners within the MAVA Foundation and Fauna & Flora International (FFI).
More details available in the attached document.
- Managerial experience in a relevant field
- Five years’ experience of project and financial management, including experience in a developing country
- Success in building long-term relationships with international agencies, corporations or funding bodies to develop and finance projects
- Proven experience of improving management, monitoring and evaluation processes
- Analytical capabilities including the appropriate application of statistical methods, understanding of financial accounting and proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Portuguese and English language, or proven ability to learn languages quickly to a professional level.
- Professional experience in Cape Verde
- Technical expertise in conservation, sustainable development or sustainable tourism
- Project and financial management qualifications
- Demonstrable experience in mentoring colleagues or internal communications.
The post-holder must be willing to live and work on the island of Maio.
Salary and benefits
The Projects and Impact Manager will be paid according to experience and FMB’s salary scale. Benefits will include:
- Salary of €7200-€8400 p.a. (€600 - €700 p.m.)
- Suitable accommodation, paid for by FMB (€140 p.m.)
- Full reimbursement of personal travel expenses to and from Maio, to a limit of €2000 p.a.
- Holiday allowance of 22 days per annum
As context, the cost of living to a good/high standard in Maio is €360 per month. Taxes are 25% on the quoted salary
Visit the FMB facebook.