Ecological Field Assistant and Conservation Volunteer
13 Oct 2017
Our main areas of work are with birds and as such the main responsibilities are (season dependant) currently:
- Undertaking breeding bird censuses including passerines, raptors and waterbirds.
- Monitoring sea bird colonies on remote islands by boat.
- Producing, erecting and monitoring nest boxes for target conservation species, particularly European Roller.
- Monitoring wetlands.
- Shore watches, migration counts and some boat based sea bird and marine vertebrate surveys.
- Supporting the local ringing team and ringing teams from abroad with mist netting effort and where suitably qualified, leading ringing teams.
- Habitat management eg. clearing invasive species, installing floating islands for birds.
- Producing short docuclips to promote the work of the NGO, managing social media and fund raising.
- Liaising with fishermen on higher marine vertebrate bycatch, strand monitoring and undertaking necropsies of marine vertebrates (turtles, seals, cetaceans). Assisting with attachment of satellite transmitters to sea turtles.