Associate Director, Sharks and Rays - WCS, New York
25 Apr 2017
- Job Title: Associate Director, Sharks and Rays
- Description: The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. WCS has made an institutional commitment to the conservation of sharks and rays globally, and to raise awareness on need to protect these species. WCS has also convened a partnership – the Global Sharks and Rays Initiative (GSRI) – to develop and implement a 10-year global strategy for the conservation of these species. In addition, WCS is poised to open the new Ocean Wonders exhibit as part of the New York Aquarium. Goals of WCS Sharks and Rays program are to: save shark and ray species from extinction; transition fisheries to sustainability; effectively control international trade; and reduce demand for shark and ray products from unsustainable sources. The WCS Sharks and Rays Program consists of scientific research and monitoring; conservation programs; policy reform at local, national and multinational levels; and outreach and education. WCS seeks an Associate Director to manage the Sharks and Rays Program.
- Responsibilities: The Associate Director manages the global WCS Sharks and Rays Program, based in WCS’s Global Conservation Program headquarters located in the Bronx Zoo, NY. This is a full-time position with benefits. The Associate Director of the Sharks and Rays Program develops and oversees the program’s strategic direction, manages the program activities in science, conservation and policy, and coordinates shark and ray activities throughout WCS, including with the New York Aquarium. In addition to program management, overall responsibilities include development and fundraising, and communications and marketing, relating to the Sharks and Rays Program, in conjunction with relevant WCS departments. The Associate Director supervises the Marine Policy Advisor/Sharks and Rays Coordinator and will shape additional staffing needs. With oversight and coordination by the Associate Director, administration and support for the Sharks and Rays Program are provided by the Marine Program Manager (finances), Marine Program Officer, and Marine Program Assistant.
- Deadline: Applications received prior to April 25 will receive priority, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Please apply online at http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers and send a cover letter and CV with the subject line “Associate Director, Sharks and Rays - [your name]” to firstname.lastname@example.org.