Assistant Director of ZSL International Operations (Full-Time / Permanent), London, UK
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals going extinct.
ZSL is seeking a credible and collaborative individual to be our new Assistant Director of International Operations, to provide operational leadership to the Conservation and Policy department in the UK and our overseas network. Reporting to the Director of Conservation and Policy this critical leadership role will take responsibility for transforming the way the organisation interacts with its overseas network. Under ZSL’s new strategy, ZSL’s international teams will support the strategy implementation in the landscapes and places within which it operates; this role will help ensure this transformation is sustainable, has the maximum possible impact on wildlife conservation through the effective use of resources and financially viable by:
- Leading the cultural and operational changes required for ZSL’s portfolio of international operations, and the projects delivered, to meet all the audit and compliance assurance requirements of donors and internal stakeholders
- Ensuring ZSL’s international teams are fully compliant, consistent and aligned with ZSL’s culture, processes and standards in all work areas
- Working with the Finance, HR, Legal & Risk Management, IT, Procurement, Fundraising and Health & Safety functions to ensure the implementation of ZSL’s change programme in its overseas offices, building capacity to embed robust and sustainable international operations for all international staff.
- Championing the integration of all ZSL’s conservation and science expertise across ZSL’s international operations in a financially sustainable manner to maximise the positive impact ZSL can have on wildlife conservation in the places to which it has committed for the longer term.
This senior management role requires a confident, resilient and proactive individual who has gravitas and is capable of making operational decisions on a global scale and can think strategically. We are a team with great ambition that continuously seeks to improve our work, and are keen to meet candidates with previous experience or are currently operating as an Assistant Director / Head of Operations and holds extensive experience working with a range of stakeholders including governments, NGO, executive committees, trustee’s and partners. The successful candidate will also possess exceptional people and project-management skills, and be able to plan and keep track of multiple projects.
This is a fantastic and exciting new opportunity within an established international organisation. You must be genuinely excited by the prospect of joining a world leading conservation charity such as ZSL. For more information please download a copy of the JD. The link is located below in the person specification section.
- Degree level qualification in Business Administration / Management or other relevant discipline, or equivalent professional experience.
- Professional qualifications in Agile/Prince 2 and / or MSP.
- Significant management experience of strategic operations in an international NGO or similar non-profit, working at a senior level across large and complex programmes.
- Strong understanding of in-country support needs, with an understanding of the opportunities and challenges of working in a range of (often complex) locations around the world and the ability to apply operational strategies and processes accordingly.
- Experience in leading cross functional teams and programme delivery programme implementation, staff management and leadership.
- Excellent presentation, reporting and communication skills, ability to distil complex information and offer strategic insight and robust challenge to colleagues from across ZSL, both in the UK and internationally.
- An understanding of key issues relevant to biodiversity conservation combined with global or international work experience would be desirable.
- Proven experience of working with HR & Finance to implement corporate policies and procedures such as financial, HR and risk management.
- Current or previous people management experience is essential as is the ability to work with a wide range of people from different cultures.
- Strong project management skills, able to oversee multiple projects and prioritise as necessary.
- The post holder also serves as deputy to the Director of Conservation Policy for internal purposes, regularly representing the department at director level within the Society.
Please note: This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent position reporting to the Director of Conservation Policy. The post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park however, the post holder will be required to travel to our overseas offices. Having a "can do attitude", solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 18th November 2018.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.